Built in 1861, it was partially endowed by Henry Eyres Landor Esquire.
The free school was built for the poor Inhabitants of Whitnash, and the purpose was to teach the children to work in agriculture or other forms of labour.
It catered for children between the ages of 5 to 14 years, and their studies were five days a week 9am until 4pm with a break at midday for one hour.
Whitnash is a very ancient settlement. Its earliest origins can be traced back to pre-Roman occupation. Whitnash has several possible origins as a place name. It could variously mean "at the white ash", "place by the wood", "sacred ash", or even "meeting place of the wise".